Looking to make your garage more secure? Here at We Buy Any House, we have compiled our top tips to help…
How Do People Break into Garages?
For those types of garages that are a single skin, a type of “up and over door”, unfortunately, these are the easiest type of garage to break into. This is because it takes one hard kick at the bottom middle of the garage door to gain access. By denting the metal, this makes it easier for burglars to prise open the door and crawl or slide underneath. Similarly, those with single skin wooden doors are equally vulnerable, as all it takes is a hard kick for the door to fall off, and if a crowbar is used to lift it up, then they could easily gain access.
Padlocks are also somewhat ineffective too, as they can be easily cut apart using bolt cutters, or alternatively, can be picked or drilled apart.
How Do I Make My Garage More Secure?
It’s vital that you make your garage as secure as possible. It’s one of the easiest points of access to your home, and people can enter it without your knowledge. Thankfully, there are numerous ways that you can make your garage more secure. Here are our top tips:
- Think about material. Ideally, you need a material that won’t be easily broken into. We recommend steel or aluminum. It’s a good idea to make the door twin-skinned and have a type of infill in between so that it can be extra secure.
- Use an electric roller shutter to add more security to your garage door. This will add more security to your garage as there will be a lock embedded in a motor, which will increase the effectiveness of your garage lock.
- If you don’t want to go for a roller shutter, then you can install slats that will work, lock into each other and make it harder for people to slide underneath and gain access to your garage.
- Burglars usually like to be protected by the night sky, and a lot of them rely on the cover of night to hide their attempted entries to get into your home. Therefore, it’s a good idea to install lights which will illuminate the whole area and deter intruders from coming into your home.
- Clear away any large shrubs, bushes or anything that will conceal a burglar’s access to your property. Burglars thrive of being hidden, so it’s a good idea to take anything down that is going to work to their advantage.
- Install a hidden door alarm and automatic door closer. Most homeowners admit to leaving their garage doors open, so it’s a good idea to get an automatic garage door closer, which will tell if the door is open and shut it for you without your knowledge.
This article was written by a quick house sale company We Buy Any House. If you’re wondering “how can I sell my house fast?”, head to the We Buy Any House website for more information relating to all property related enquiries.